
Nueva York, 2 de noviembre de 2007
Yo amaba a la mamá, pero cuando escuché a la hija, me enganché de por vida.
Como siempre, las largas esperas y el blooper revelador de la publicista.
Pero el que quiera celeste, que le cueste. Finalmente, iba a hablar con Maria Rita.
Lástima que, por alguna razón (a. Se hizo la boluda; b. Le informaron mal; c. No entendió un carajo), Maria Rita no sabía que nos tenía a mí y a Sergio (el garoto de Batanga, tipazo) esperándola en el lobby.
Pero MR bajó, cautivó y nos mostró hasta los tatuajes de su barriga.
Es tan genuina como se ve en el DVD de Segundo, su segunda (duh) obra maestra. Un sentido del humor rápido, explosivo, una mente clarísima, una dulzura... humbling, y un único interés: cantar.
Como diría ella: "All the rest is bullshit."
Sergio se fue con ella primero, y regresó como si hubiese estado con el Dalai Lama.
Ahí entré yo y, al final, no hubo necesidad de microwave.
Tu mamá fue, para muchos (yo incluido) la más grande cantante de Brasil, pero falleció cuando tú eras muy chica. ¿Qué memorias tienes de ella?
No tengo muchas. Casi nada de memorias de mi mamá. Algo por aquí o por allá, pero no son muchas.
¿Escuchás sus discos?
Un poco. En la adolescencia (¿se dice adolescencia?) escuché un poco, porque sentía la necesidad de comprender mis raíces, mi historia. Entonces busqué leer sus entrevistas y escuchar un poco de su música para comprender cómo pensaba mi madre. Es un presente, un regalo, que mi mamá cantó tanto, creyó tanto… Tanto política como personalmente.
Ayer la Academia le dio un premio a tu papá, César Camargo Mariano. ¿Cómo estuvo eso?
(se ríe) Inesperado. (se ríe) Los miembros de la Academia no sabían que yo estaba allá en la ceremonia, y me llamaron al escenario para… (no encuentra las palabras)
Inglés, portugués, español… Lo que quieras. Podemos ir back and forth.
Inglés… I’m not working anymore. Ok, thank you. I’m not functioning anymore. It was scary! “You have an interview in 20 minutes!” “What???!!!” Sorry… They didn’t know I was there, so they called me on the stage and… They didn’t tell my father either that I was there, so… They play this song of his, and then they played the video and then my dad went up onstage and all I did was stay onstage and cry… (se ríe) It was pretty emotional. The song they picked to honor him was beautiful. It’s called ‘Samambaia,’ a very beautiful song, one of his best known songs. I just cried, that’s all I did. I was very touched.
Maria Rita (2003), tu debut producido por Tom Capone, fue a one time thing o pensaban seguir haciendo discos juntos?
Sin dudas, sin dudas [iban a seguir produciendo].
Él fue el más nominado del Latin Grammy 2004, y entre los dos esa noche ganaron tres Latin Grammys. Pero esa misma noche Tom muere en un accidente de motocicleta en Los Ángeles, luego de la fiesta post-Grammy. O sea, fuiste de la gloria al infierno en una misma noche. No sé ni cómo preguntarte esto, pero…
Yeah, that’s just that… There’s no way of… It was very strange. It was all very weird, and to this day I just don’t… [se le llenan los ojos de lágrimas, so I move on]
Segundo (2005, coproducido por Maria Rita y Lenine), es otra maravilla, mucho más naked…
Naked. That’s the word.
Hermosísimo, pero lamentablemente hay unos imbéciles colegas…
(se ríe a carcajadas)
…with all due respect…
[más carcajadas]
…que piensan que because it’s not as “explosive” or “flashy” as the first one, it wasn’t as good.
[sigue riéndose] Thank you. First of all, thank you. [A la publicista, Tracy Mann: “He just had a fit right now”]
Tracy: “A fit of enthusiasm?”
No, he’s just mad at some people.
Yeah, those who think the second album is not as good as the first one. (Oh, big deal... Chill out, kid)
Tracy: We’re mad at them too.
Maria Rita: [poniendo voz de mala] They’re silly people. Yes. Aesthetically, as you said, everything starts with the song. As we say in Brazil, if I’m an interpreter, just give me anything and I’ll sing it, but that wouldn’t be real, it wouldn’t be truthful to the listeners and to myself, firstly. It’s funny because the sound, la sonoridade del disco es very similar to the first one, actually. They’re both recorded live, and the second one is completely recorded live. I don’t know what they expected. (risas) It got to a point in which I said, ‘If I do something completely different they’ll claim that I don’t have a personality, that I don’t know what I’m doing. And if I do the same thing they’ll say that I’m working on a formula and that the album is not as good as the first one.” So to start things off, I was already losing, so I just did whatever I felt I wanted to do at that time. It had more to do with me, and my messages and sense of aesthetics, and sonidos, than… I didn’t do it for them. You know what I mean? Y la decisión de hacer un DVD con “the making of” de la grabación del disco también fue una decisión que… El sentimiento que yo tengo es que las personas tienen una idea de mí como de diva intocable, ¿comprendes? Entonces decidí mostrarles el lado humano de la cantante.
Siempre incluís por lo menos alguna canción en español. Primero fue ‘Dos gardenias’ y después una de mi compatriota Jorge Drexler…
¿Eh? Ah, compatriota…
‘Mal intento’. ¿Cómo te llegaron esas dos canciones?
A mí siempre me encantó ‘Dos gardenias’, mucho, mucho, mucho, siempre. Cuando vi Buena Vista Social Club, en el ’95, creo, mucho me encantó y un día en el estudio le pregunté a Tom Capone, “¿A ti te gusta ‘Dos gardenias’?” Tom se puso serio y me dijo “A mí me gusta mucho ‘Dos gardenias’”. Entonces empezamos a tocarla y tratar diferentes cosas. Con ‘Mal intento’, I met Drexler in Brasil y fuimos a un restaurante a cenar y hablamos mucho, y eventualmente me mandó dos o tres canciones, y ‘Mal intento’ estaba ahí. Y me identifiqué con la canción. Es tan simple, so simple, and people take that for a bad song because it has no screaming and yelling. It just very… It doesn’t have to be… There’s no need for anything else in there, you know what I mean?
Y tiene mucho que ver con tu voz. No sos la típica cantante que hace [imitando a Mariah Carey o Christina Aguilera] AAAAUUUOOOOOOOAAAAA, siempre cantando como diciendo “Miren lo que puedo hacer con la voz”. No sé, vos abrís la boca y la voz te sale sola, no tenés que hacer nada, es independiente… Sos la cantante brasileña que más respeta la canción.
Thank you, that’s truly what it is. The way I see it, I have to add on to their work, to the songwriter’s work. They write something, and they trust me with their creation. That’s like giving your child for someone else to take care of. You know what I’m saying? To do something with them. It’s a scary thought, so I usually try to… There’s this one song in Segundo, where I sing it wrong. ‘Casa pre-fabricada'. I changed a word while I was recording it. Instead of “sob” I said “sobre.”
¿En qué linea?
Ah… (piensa) Right in the beginning. "Abre os teus armários/eu estou a te esperar/para ver deitar o sol/sobre os teus braços castos".
Pero ¿lo cambiaste a propósito?
No. Lo cambié porque no presté atención, estaba grabando y… No lo sé. Pero el take estaba muy bueno, a mí mucho me gustó. Entonces llamé al compositor [Marcelo Camelo] y le dije, “Mira…” Y él me dijo “No, no, no… If it’s fit to go, go.” And then he listened to the song y…
…y le encantó, y los dos terminaron abrazados por un rato. Vos estabas muerta de miedo, pero cuando él repetía “¡Qué bonito!”, vos como que te aliviaste y lo fuiste a abrazar.
Sí, sí, sí… I felt the need to show it to him, so he wouldn’t be mad at me… (se ríe).
Tú dijiste que esa canción te da ganas de volverte a enamorar.
Sí. And that’s what I mean when I try to add on to their work. I try to respect it.
Comé un poquito mientras te hago las preguntas. Después, cuando te saquen las fotos, yo le pido al mozo que meta el plato en el microwave.
[se ríe a carcajadas y hace gestos y ruido de plato giratorio de microondas]
MPB, jazz, intérprete… ¿Cómo te sentís vos? Lo tuyo tiene un jazzy feeling.
Nunca tuve ningún preconcepto… Is that a word? No prejudice con la música. Cuando vivía en Nueva York iba a salsa clubs. Escuché hasta… Yo vivía con una chica coreana and even Korean music I would listen to. So, I was always very… I just listened to everything and I think that that’s… That might be something. And then, the passion. The passion explains it all. That’s what I do.
Quiero hablar un poco de dos canciones que me gustan mucho: ‘Ciranda do mundo’ y ‘Lavadeira do rio’. La versión original de Lenine de ‘Lavadeira…’ es completamente diferente.
He was one of the very few Brazilian artists I would listen to while I lived in the USA. Other than Tom Jobim, Caetano [Veloso], [Gilberto] Gil, Marisa Monte, there wasn’t much that was getting here. I found out about Lenine through my brothers. I was already living in Brazil when I was putting a band together to perform, and I just loved that song. And it talks about “Rita” and I went, “Ok.” We were rehearsing and playing along with it, to make it a little less open than Lenine’s version of it, which is the original. And then I ended up performing it so many times that I included it in the first album. And ‘Ciranda do mundo’ also is from Pedro Luís y A. Parede de Rio, y son awesome. It has… Again, that happens to me a lot. I listen to a song and it just hits me, “I have to sing it.” Sometimes a song won’t sound as good when I sing it as the original, so I just don’t record it, I don’t do anything to it, even though I might like singing it a lot. ‘Ciranda do mundo’ worked out fine. We tried a whole bunch of different versions for it, and this had a little Latin feel to it, similar to ‘Lavadeira’… Not in the Latino feel, but it has an urban sonoridad to it, very down to Earth.
Ya que estamos, dame tus bendiciones para seguir tocando una version de ‘Ciranda do mundo’ en candombe.
(se ríe a carcajadas). ¡Sí, por supuesto! ¡Sigue, por favor!
Esta noche tenés otras tres nominaciones. ¿Pensás ganar, te importa en lo más mínimo?
I was thinking about that as I was coming here. It’s so bizarre… I don’t have any expectations. I don’t think I’m gonna win. “Win…” That word, in and of itself, is awful. I think we don’t compete against each other. There’s got to be a change in the thinking of it. We’re participating in the same categories. I’m not against anybody. I don’t want you not to win. In any case, I don’t think I’m gonna “get” the award. There’s so much other stuff that’s going on in the categories, I just don’t… But…
“Having said that…”
(se ríe) “Having said that…” I do consider myself —honest to God, I’m not trying to be cute or anything— already a winner, ’cause my father has been honored, and I’m here for the fun. This time I’m gonna try to have fun, because last year I was so in awe of everything. “Oh, that’s that dude from that movie… Wow, that’s that dude from the TV show…” Really in awe… So this time around I’ll try to have some fun. I do consider myself… I got the nominations from the Latin Academy. So much has been said about this album, sometimes I feel it’s been misunderstood, but I’m here. I’m a survivor.
Great album. Y con el tiempo…
[interrumpiendo] I’m not in a rush.
I know, but I mean que el disco adquirirá más valor aún con el paso del tiempo. It’s a classic.
You can’t expect second albums to be… The first one was unanimously… Unanimidade. I didn’t get that. And the second time I knewthat I was going to get heat. So I just blocked it out.
¿Pero en Brasil también hubo mixed reactions?
También.
¿Pero qué esperaban? ¿Que te salieran chispas de la cabeza, que tuvieras tres lenguas, la cabeza girando onda Linda Blair? ¡Es un discazo!
(se ríe) No sé. Y qué bueno que no sabemos.
¿Ya estás pensando en el tercero?
No, no voy a grabar en 2007, pero voy a participar en proyectos y…
Oh, shit… Me olvidaba de preguntarte sobre ‘Soledad’…
Oh, Dios mío… A la crítica brasileña no le gustó.
¡No saben lo que es una zamba!
[carcajadas] Exacto. Again, Such a simple and direct song and it’s such a moment where you can tell that Jorge [Drexler], or whoever wrote it, let’s not give names cause it’s all a little weird, that the person who wrote it was completely naked and in pain. It’s absolutely unbelievable. And I recorded it… There was an awards ceremony in Rio, I was nominated as well, and I was all dressed up, the long dress, the gown, heels, and the hair, and I had like a… Hair extension, and make up, and the ceremony ended and I had to go to the studio to send it back to Jorge in Spain, and it was such a moment. I’m all dressed up, and I go [sweetly] “Soledaaad… aquí están mis credenciales…” Completamente in love with the song, going through all my pain, along with it, and then I opened the newspaper and “It’s a bad song.” I’m like, “You know what? You all don’t know what you’re doing.” They didn’t get it! That’s so sad. It’s sad for them. It’s simple, and it’s pretty. It doesn’t have to be all full of puajjj [hace gestos como vaciando un balde lleno de cosas] for it to be a good song. It doesn’t!
Me imagino una caricatura tuya cantando ‘Soledad’, toda pintarrajeada…
[carcajadas] You have no idea what it was. The engineer of all my things, Alvaro Alencar (he has to be there whenever I go to the studio), at one point he goes, “I don’t believe what I’m seeing… This is a chapter in and of itself of your biography. What is this?” All dressed up, and singing, 4 o’ clock in the morning.
¿Sabe Jorge los detalles de cómo la grabaste?
No, creo que no. Me llamó al teléfono cuando la escuchó. Grabé la canción completa y él hizo la edición después, no grabamos juntos. Entonces… Me llamó al teléfono, como que gritaba: “¡¡¡¡¡Que lindo!!!!!” He was so excited, “¡bla bla bla bla!”, and I go “I’m glad you liked it” and then he goes, “Ok, bye.” That’s all we talked about that. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful song. Can you imagine someone going through some experience and sitting at home and thinking, “Ok, soledad, here I am, it’s you and me now.” C’mon, now!!! How can someone say that’s not beautiful?? Oh, I don’t get it. I don’t get it. Oh, well…
Es una de las mejores canciones sobre la soledad que escuché, y me hace acordar mucho a ‘Esa noche’, de Café Tacuba. “No me hubieras dejado esa noche/porque esa misma noche encontré un amor”. Al final de la canción, uno se da cuenta que el nuevo amor era, precisamente, la soledad.
¿’Esa noche’? It’s the same… Wow… It’s the same message from ‘Veja bem, meu bem’. “Veja bem, meu bem/Sinto te informar/que arranjei alguém/pra me confortar.” The guy is telling, through a letter, or whatever, to the woman… Between the lines you can read that the woman thinks he’s cheating on her. And he goes, “Yes, I’m trying to tell you that I did find somebody to comfort me, in my lonely lights.” And that somebody is soledad.
La soledad en la música es una constante, pero los grandes siempre se las ingenian para seguir encontrando magia en un tema re-explorado…
Damn! That’s saudade… Saudade is a little different… You can only… Fuck… The story you can understand, but the very last line… “Enquanto isso, navegando vou sem paz. Sem ter um porto, quase morto, sem um casi…” And then “E eu nunca vou te esquecer amor/Mas a solidão deixa o coração neste leva e traz… Saiba, traições snao bem mais sutis.” You should know that betrayal is a lot more subtle than, you know… Sort of like, if I’m betraying, you, if I’m cheating on you, you would know. “Se eu te troquei/não foi por maldade”. Did you get it?
No fue por maldad…
No fue por maldad… “Se eu te troquei/não foi por maldade… Amor, veja bem, arranjei alguém,” I did find somebody, “chamado saudade.” So it’s the very last line of the song.
Pero saudade en portugués…
Es kind of like soledad. Kiiiiind of…
¿En portugués no hay una palabra para soledad?
No, no. No other language. No other language. There’s no absolute translation. There’s no word that actually sums up… Saudade…
Saudade es como nostalgia, ¿no?
Sí. Es como. Una nostalgia que tiene un poco de alegría y un poco de tristeza y un poco de nostalgia y un poco de todo lo que una persona puede sentir por otra o por algo. Saudade… For me, when I say the word ‘saudade’ I do feel a little bit of pain, also. It’s tiny. So it has a little sense of soledad.
(No part of this interview can be reproduced without written consent by Enrique Lopetegui)
No comments:
Post a Comment